Endangered Baboon monkeys, hyenas seized in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi: Fifteen Baboon monkeys and two striped hyenas that were kept illegally for sale were seized from a house in Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, officials said.
The seizure comes after a tip-off given to the Environment Agency about these endangered animals being kept illegally inside a house in Abu Dhabi`s Khalidiya Park area.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) prohibits sell of these animals. The owner of the animals was arrested.
"UAE is intensifying its fight against the illegal trade in endangered species and implementing strict procedures to penalise violators. According to federal law, all endangered species included in the CITES appendices require a CITES certificate from the country of origin in addition to export or re-export permit from the concerned authorities in the country," an official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living