Endangered baby gorilla born at Chicago zoo dies
Chicago: A preliminary exam shows that an endangered baby gorilla born nine days ago at Chicago`s Lincoln Park Zoo died of head trauma.
Zoo workers discovered the baby gorilla was dead Friday morning, as she was being carried around by her mother.
The zoo says workers allowed the mother, 16-year-old Bana, to keep the baby for several hours "to make peace with what happened." She was a first-time mother.
The cause of death was determined later in the day during a necropsy, the animal version of an autopsy.
The baby`s father was a 22-year-old silverback gorilla named Kwan.
The baby was the first Western lowland gorilla born at the zoo since 2005. She had not been named.
In a statement, the zoo says the baby appeared to be fully developed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena