Endangered baby gorilla born at Chicago zoo dies
Chicago: A preliminary exam shows that an endangered baby gorilla born nine days ago at Chicago`s Lincoln Park Zoo died of head trauma.
Zoo workers discovered the baby gorilla was dead Friday morning, as she was being carried around by her mother.
The zoo says workers allowed the mother, 16-year-old Bana, to keep the baby for several hours "to make peace with what happened." She was a first-time mother.
The cause of death was determined later in the day during a necropsy, the animal version of an autopsy.
The baby`s father was a 22-year-old silverback gorilla named Kwan.
The baby was the first Western lowland gorilla born at the zoo since 2005. She had not been named.
In a statement, the zoo says the baby appeared to be fully developed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead