Endangered baby gorilla born at Chicago zoo dies
Chicago: A preliminary exam shows that an endangered baby gorilla born nine days ago at Chicago`s Lincoln Park Zoo died of head trauma.
Zoo workers discovered the baby gorilla was dead Friday morning, as she was being carried around by her mother.
The zoo says workers allowed the mother, 16-year-old Bana, to keep the baby for several hours "to make peace with what happened." She was a first-time mother.
The cause of death was determined later in the day during a necropsy, the animal version of an autopsy.
The baby`s father was a 22-year-old silverback gorilla named Kwan.
The baby was the first Western lowland gorilla born at the zoo since 2005. She had not been named.
In a statement, the zoo says the baby appeared to be fully developed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future