Endangered baby gorilla born at Chicago zoo dies
Chicago: A preliminary exam shows that an endangered baby gorilla born nine days ago at Chicago`s Lincoln Park Zoo died of head trauma.
Zoo workers discovered the baby gorilla was dead Friday morning, as she was being carried around by her mother.
The zoo says workers allowed the mother, 16-year-old Bana, to keep the baby for several hours "to make peace with what happened." She was a first-time mother.
The cause of death was determined later in the day during a necropsy, the animal version of an autopsy.
The baby`s father was a 22-year-old silverback gorilla named Kwan.
The baby was the first Western lowland gorilla born at the zoo since 2005. She had not been named.
In a statement, the zoo says the baby appeared to be fully developed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM