Ensure no plastic waste is burnt in two villages: NGT to Delhi Police
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today asked the Delhi Police to ensure that neither plastic waste is burnt nor carried in and out of Mundka and Nangloi villages in West Delhi.
"Police shall ensure that no plastic is burnt there (in Mundka and Nangloi) and that no plastic is carried or transported in or out of the area," a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar said.
The bench also sought a response from the local plastic dealers as to why heavy costs be not imposed on them "for polluting the environment by burning plastic waste which is harmful to the health of the people."
The NGT also pulled up the police officer, who had inspected the area, for telling the bench that agricultural residue and not plastic is being burnt in these villages.
"Don`t try to lie to us. Should we call your Commissioner here and tell him about your behaviour? You are the most irresponsible officer," Justice Kumar said.
The bench slammed the officer and the SHO of Police Station Mundka for not collecting samples of ash and soil to ascertain what was being burnt there.
"Agricultural waste is burnt in the fields. Why did you not take samples of the soil and ash to see what was being burnt?" the bench asked.
The NGT`s strong remarks came after it went through a status report stating that plastic collection and burning are going on in the two villages.
On their part, the officer as well as the plastic dealers had maintained only agricultural waste was being burnt there.
Advocate Sudeep had submitted the report to the NGT and also filed photographs showing burning of plastic waste and its ash in the area.
The tribunal after perusing the photographs and status report observed that "it is clear that plastic and other waste is being collected and burnt there."
The bench was hearing the pleas of city residents, Satish Kumar and Mahavir Singh, who alleged that burning of plastic and other waste in the two villages had not stopped despite a 2010 Delhi High Court order prohibiting the same.
The NGT reiterated the High Court`s August 27, 2012 order by which the police were directed to set up pickets to ensure that no plastic waste is transported in and out of the villages.
"High Court`s order is not being followed by the police. We reiterate the same," it said.
The bench will now hear the matter on July 10.
Earlier, the NGT had directed the Delhi Police Commissioner to ensure that burning of leather and plastic is stopped in the two villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'