Environment Min issues guidelines to clean up rivers
New Delhi: Concerned over the growing pollution of rivers, Environment Ministry today came out with detailed guidelines to address the problem on a war-footing and has asked state governments to take a series of steps for cleaning the rivers.
According to the new Guidelines Under National River Conservation Plan and National Ganga River Basin Authority, City Sanitation Plan (CSP) shall be the basis for planning and formulating projects.
"Therefore, preparation of city sanitation plans, wherever it doesn`t exist, will be the first step. However, CSP shall be prepared on the basis of City Development Plan (CDP), if so drawn and finalised for the city," it said.
Calling for a holistic approach and provision of integrated sewer network up to house-property line in place of drain interception and diversion, the guidelines said that this will ensure full coverage of the town and thereby transportation of entire sewage to treatment plants for optimal utilisation.
Dovetailing with projects under JNNURM/UIDSSMT/ State Plan is compulsory, the guidelines says and added that this will ensure optimal utilisation of resources on priority basis."
The guidelines emphasised the need of Design, Build & Operate (DBO) model for efficient operation and maintenance (O & M) of River Conservation schemes.
"First 5 years O & M cost to be in-built in the project cost. This will ensure unhindered O & M of assets which is necessary for achieving the river cleaning objectives.
"Next 10 years O & M cost to be also worked out with revenue generation plan. The O & M responsibility beyond 5th year will rest with the State Government/ ULB (Urban Local Bodies)," it says.
The guidelines calls of stakeholder consultation at the stage of formulation and implementation of the project to ensure active involvement of various stakeholders and the civil society to generate support and encourage ownership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers