Environmental change can speed up evolution
Washington: Environmental change can drive hard-wired evolutionary changes in animal species in a matter of generations, a new study has revealed.
A study by Umea University ecologist Tom Cameron and a research team at University of Leeds overturns the common assumption that evolution only occurs gradually over hundreds or thousands of years.
Instead, researchers found significant genetically transmitted changes in laboratory populations of soil mites in just 15 generations leading to a doubling of the age at which the mites reached adulthood and large changes in population size.
The results have important implications in areas such as disease and pest control, conservation and fisheries management because they demonstrate that evolution can be a game-changer even in the short-term.
"This demonstrates that short-term ecological change and evolution are completely intertwined and cannot reasonably be considered separate," Professor Tim Benton, of the University of Leeds` Faculty of Biological Sciences, said.
"We found that populations evolve rapidly in response to environmental change and population management. This can have major consequences such as reducing harvesting yields or saving a population heading for extinction," he said.
Although previous research has implied a link between short-term changes in animal species` physical characteristics and evolution, the Leeds-led study is the first to prove a causal relationship between rapid genetic evolution and animal population dynamics in a controlled experimental setting.
The results are published in the journal Ecology Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'