Environmentalists propose `Himalaya Day`
New Delhi: Calling attention towards the ecological threat faced by the Himalayas, a group of eminent environmentalists has written to all MPs and the presiding officers of both houses of Parliament to declare September 9 as `Himalaya Day`.
Under the umbrella of `Himalayan Unity for Movement`, environmentalists Sunder Lal Bahuguna, Radha Ben and Anil Joshi have written to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Hamid Ansari and all members of Parliament - appealing to identify September 9 as `Himalaya Day`.
"There is an equal responsibility of the upper and lower house towards this pertinent issue," the letter signed by Padmashree award winning environmentalist Anil Joshi says.
The day has been identified by activists as the day for Himalayas to foster awareness about saving the lofty ranges which are under ecological threat due to increased human interference.
"We have approached parliament to take up the matter for approval of the government. The celebration of such a day will attract the attention of common citizens towards the importance of Himalayas in overall building of national environment," Joshi said.
He added that several MPs and ministers have responded at an individual level to take up the issue.
September 9 was identified by the group of environmentalists as Himalaya Day this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price