EU cuts CO2 emissions for vans by 28 per cent
Strasbourg (France): The European Parliament signed off today on new carbon dioxide restrictions for commercial vans that will slash emissions by 28 per cent from 2020.
Under the rules, all new light commercial vehicles sold across the European Union will emit a maximum 147 grammes of CO2 per kilometre instead of 203 grammes as per the level set in 2007.
European Climate Commissioner Connie Hedegaard said the target was both "accessible" and not too expensive for manufacturers. The legislation will be reviewed in 2015.
Vans account for 12 per cent of the European market for light-duty vehicles, which together are responsible for 1.5 per cent of total EU CO2 emissions, according to the European Commission.
Light vans have a longer lifespan than passenger cars and weigh up to 2.61 tonnes empty and 3.5 tonnes when laden.
European lawmakers next month will vote on a similar scheme to limit CO2 emissions in new passenger cars that has been held up by concerns in Germany, which has a powerful auto industry.
Berlin agreed in November however to the scheme to reduce CO2 emissions to 95 grammes per kilometre for 2020. German carmakers had wanted the date pushed back to 2024 but did secure a phasing-in period to satisfy their demands.
The EU has already set a target for average new car emissions of 130 grammes of CO2 per kilometre by 2015, which would represent an 18-per cent improvement over 2007 standards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'