Even trees can suffer jetlag
Wellington: Trees have biological clocks and can be affected by jetlag just as humans, a new study has revealed.
Researchers at the University of Western Sydney (UWS) say that jetlag could operate at an ecosystem level in plants and may hold clues to how trees store carbon.
The internal biological clock that’s disrupted when humans travel across time zones - causing jetlag - could regulate plant photosynthesis, says Dr Victor Resco de Dios, the lead author of the study Global Change Biology.
“If you could move a whole forest from Sydney to Barcelona all of the trees - in fact the whole ecosystem - would likely have the plant equivalent of jetlag,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Dr Resco de Dios, from UWS’s Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment, as saying.
While conceding few forests are moved across international time zones, he said the research could be useful in an era of tackling climate change.
Using observational data collected from forests around the world, Dr Resco de Dios’ team tested whether a change in environmental conditions affected the amount of carbon locked away by plants.
“The research results provide a much better understanding of ecosystem function and its capacity to store carbon which is essential in an era of climate change and carbon accounting,” he added.
The research is hoped to provide a greater understanding of the biological clocks of trees and whether this knowledge could improve the accuracy of carbon exchange models in the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!