Expedite implementation of biodiversity plan: Javadekar
New Delhi: India`s Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar Monday urged the parties to the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) to expedite the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, a statement said.
In a video message, Javadekar, president of the 11th Conference of Parties (CoP-11) to the CBD, highlighted key issues of biodiversity conservation that were discussed at the CBD`s fifth meeting of the Working Group on review of implementation (WGRI-5) held in Montreal (Canada) June 16-20.
Javdekar also urged the parties to decide on final targets for resource mobilisation for implementation of the Strategic Plan, and also highlighted the importance of addressing poverty reduction as a cross-cutting issue of the strategic plan, the statement said.
"He expressed confidence that these initiatives would help to harness long-term benefits by investing in biodiversity conservation," it added.
At the WGRI-5 meeting, India was represented by Hem Pande, additional secretary in the ministry and India`s pointman for the CBD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October