Expedite implementation of biodiversity plan: Javadekar
New Delhi: India`s Environment, Forests and Climate Change Minister Prakash Javadekar Monday urged the parties to the Convention of Biological Diversity (CBD) to expedite the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, a statement said.
In a video message, Javadekar, president of the 11th Conference of Parties (CoP-11) to the CBD, highlighted key issues of biodiversity conservation that were discussed at the CBD`s fifth meeting of the Working Group on review of implementation (WGRI-5) held in Montreal (Canada) June 16-20.
Javdekar also urged the parties to decide on final targets for resource mobilisation for implementation of the Strategic Plan, and also highlighted the importance of addressing poverty reduction as a cross-cutting issue of the strategic plan, the statement said.
"He expressed confidence that these initiatives would help to harness long-term benefits by investing in biodiversity conservation," it added.
At the WGRI-5 meeting, India was represented by Hem Pande, additional secretary in the ministry and India`s pointman for the CBD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...