`Expenditure on bio-diversity must be looked as an investment`
Hyderabad: Expenditure on conserving bio-diversity should be looked as an investment for future and the present global economic crisis should not discourage countries on investing more on this front, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan said here today.
In her inaugural address at the eleventh meet of the Conference of the Parties (COP-11) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Natarajan said resources mobilisation is the most important unfinished agenda after COP-10.
COP-11 which began here today will hold discussions on various issues such as raising funding mechanism for implementing biodiversity protocols and access and benefit sharing of biodiversity resources.
"Needless to emphasise that expenditure on biodiversity needs to be looked at actually as an investment that will reap benefits for us and our future generations," the minister said.
"The present global economic crisis should not deter us , but on the contrary encourage us to invest more towards amelioration of the natural capital for ensuring uninterrupted ecosystem service, on which all life on earth depends," Natarajan added.
Over 160 countries are expected to participate in the COP 11 and a ministerial segment is planned from October 16-19 where heads of State and ministers of environment will engage in discussions related to the key themes of the Conference, a CBD official said.
Braulio Ferreira De Souza Dias, the Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy and Union Environment Secretary Tishya Chatterjee were also present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH