Extinct giant shark nursery `discovered`
Washington: US palaeontologists claim
to have discovered an extinct giant shark nursery in Panama.
A team from the Smithsonian`s and the University
of Florida collected more than 400 fossil shark teeth from
Panama`s 10-million-year-old Gatun Formation as part of its
research to reveal the origins of this narrow landbridge that
rose to connect North and South America 3 million years ago.
"The 28 teeth that we identified as C. megalodon were
mostly from neonates and juveniles," Catalina Pimiento, who
led the team, said.
The palaeontologists used reference collections at
the Smithsonian`s National Museum of Natural History and the
Florida Museum of Natural History to characterise the teeth.
"Very little is known about the life cycle of this
giant shark that ruled the oceans not so long ago. Now we
think that the young spent their first years close to the
coast among mangroves," said team member Carlos Jaramillo.
The team discarded several other explanations
for the concentration of small teeth at the site. Before their
discovery in Panama, two other fossil beds have been proposed
as paleo-shark nurseries: the Williamsburg Formation from the
Paleocene and the Oligocene Chandler Bridge Formation, both in
the US state of South Carolina.
The sandy soils of the Gatun Formation have been
used for years to make cement. Soon these outcrops will be
exhausted. Scientists continue to race against the clock to
find out more about the ancient inhabitants of the region.
The findings have been published in the `PLoS ONE`
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened