Extinct lizard species named after Obama
London: An extinct species of lizard has been named after US President Barack Obama by a team of scientists at Yale and Harvard.
According to a new paper published in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences,” the Obamadon gracilis was a small lizard, less than a foot long, that "probably" ate insects.
“It is a small polyglyphanodontian distinguished by tall, slender teeth with large central cusps separated from small accessory cusps by lingual grooves,” Politico quoted the researchers, as writing in the journal.
According to the report, the Obamadon fossils were discovered in northwest northwest Montana. The species was probably wiped out in the mass-extinction astroid collision that was also responsible for killing off the dinosaurs.
The head of the research team, Yale`s Nicholas R. Longrich, denied any political impact in their name choice, the report said.
"We`re just having fun with taxonomy," Longrich said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest