‘Extinct’ South Island bird kokako could still be alive
Zee Media Bureau
New Zealand: A South Island bird `kokako`, previously thought to be extinct, may still be alive, according to the Ornithological Society, which monitors rare and endangered birds species.
A native New Zealand bird, the South Island kokako, was last seen in Mt Aspiring National Park in 1967, and was declared extinct in 2007.
However, two people claimed to have seen the bird on the West Coast near Reefton in 2007 and the sighting has been accepted by the Ornithological Society’s Record Appraisal Committee. Also between 1990 and 2008, 10 more sightings were found to be “probable” or “possible”.
Based on 11 claimed sightings, earlier this month, the New Zealand Threat Classification System has changed the bird’s classification from “extinct” to “data deficient”.
The committee’s decision was hailed by Forest & Bird member Alec Milne, who claims to have both seen and heard the South Island kokako.
While it was still uncertain as to whether the bird was alive, this was the best sign yet, said Forest and Bird advocacy manager Kevin Hackwell.
“New Zealand is thought to have lost over 50 bird species. If just one of those extinctions turns out not to have happened, it would be incredibly good news,” he added.
The orange-wattled South Island kokako is a different species from the endangered North Island kokako, which has blue wattles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!