Extinct `terror bird` fought like Muhammad Ali
Washington: Scientists have claimed that an extinct "terror bird", which lived mainly in South America, used an agile, attack-and-retreat combat style like former US boxer and three-time World Heavyweight Champion Muhammad Ali.
Andalgalornis could not fly but it stood 1.4 metres tall, weighed 40 kilogrammes and had an unusually large, rigid skull and hawk-like hooked beak: it would have avoided close combat and used hatchet-like jabs to take down its prey, the scientists reported in the `PLoS ONE` journal.
"We found that this terror bird was well-adapted to drive in its deep, narrow beak then pull back with that wickedly recurved tip. As a heavyweight, its fighting style was more like that of a bobbing, weaving Muhammad Ali than a Joe Frazier wading into the fray and slugging it out," said Dr Stephen Wroe, who led an international team.
They have based their findings on a study of stresses in the skull of the Andalgalornis, using computer modelling.
Working with a complete fossil skull of the creature, which lived six million years ago in north-western Argentina, the scientists used CT scanning and advanced engineering methods to examine its form, function and predatory behaviour.
In fact, the scientists applied engineering approaches called Finite Element Analysis to test the performance of the skull under different simulated feeding behaviours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report