Female elephant caught in slush saved
Erode: A 10-year-old female elephant trapped in slush in a water tank in Kadambur forest area has been saved after 24 hours, forest officials said.
They said the elephant along with its mother and other pachyderms had gone to the slush filled tank on Sunday morning to quench their thirst. The pachyderm got trapped and could not come up even after the other elephants tried in vain to push it up.
On information forest officials rushed to the spot, drove away the other elephants and tried to lift it up but to no avail. This morning they noticed its mother standing in the area and soon leaving the spot. The officials immediatley brought in an earth mover, managed to tie the animal with some ropes with help from villagers and pulled it up.
They later fed the elephant glucose mixed water and fruits. Officials said the pachyderm was tired and slowly recovering and would leave for the forsest by night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured