Female panda undergoes artificial insemination
London: The Edinburgh Zoo`s female giant panda, Tian Tian, underwent artificial insemination over the weekend after she and the facility`s male panda, Yang Guang, failed to mate, a zoo spokeswoman said.
Yang Guang (Sunshine) showed interest in Tian Tian (Sweetie), but natural mating did not occur, the zoo spokeswoman said.
Artificial insemination was carried out early Sunday, the zoo spokeswoman said.
The zoo had hoped that Tian Tian and Yang Guang would mate this year after the two failed to get romantic in 2012.
The pandas, which are the zoo`s stars, arrived in Scotland in 2011 from the reserve in Sichuan, China.
Yang Guang and Tian Tian, both 9, live in a new enclosure whose remodeling cost 250,000 pounds ($381,000).
Zoo officials are hoping that the pair will have offspring, a rare occurrence in captivity.
China leased the bears to the zoo for 700,000 pounds ($1.06 million) annually.
Scotland provides an ideal habitat for the pandas, which live in the frigid mountains of Sichuan, the zoo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says