First estuary under Antarctic ice discovered
New York: For the first time, scientists have discovered that Antarctica`s massive ice sheet is hiding an estuary, where fresh water from rivers mixes with salt water from the ocean.
Hidden at the head of the thick Ross Ice Shelf in West Antarctica, a strange and singular ecosystem could exist in the estuary, researchers said.
"We know in the sub-aerial environment that estuaries are fascinating," said Richard Alley, a glaciologist at Penn State University and co-author of a study.
"You have got a mixture of two very strange environments, so whether you`re going to find anything that shakes up the world, I don`t know, but it`s a fascinating target," said Alley.
The tidal mixing zone sits beneath the end of the Whillans Ice Stream, one of the fast-moving "ice rivers" in West Antarctica.
Ice streams are features that flow quickly compared to the surrounding ice.
Researchers announced, earlier this year, that the buried glacial lake contained microbial life.
Estuaries are channels only partly open to the ocean, and a one-kilometre-wide channel snakes inland from the Ross Sea toward Lake Whillans. The river-like channel is about 7 meters deep.
Researchers led by Huw Horgan of Victoria University in New Zealand, found signs of a thin brackish layer of sub-glacial water, ocean water and sediment several kilometres inland of the Whillans Ice Stream grounding line.
The grounding line is where the bottom of a glacier loses contact with land and floats on water.
The study was published in the journal Geology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues