First Indian floating solar power station by 2014
Kolkata: Following in the footsteps of Asian giants Japan and Singapore, this West Bengal capital may soon get India`s first floating solar power station by 2014.
Such solar power stations comprise floating platforms (usually hexagonal) fitted with solar panels to generate more energy than land-based plants.
The brainchild of solar energy expert S.P. Gon Chaudhuri, the proposed sites for the maiden floating solar power station are ponds surrounding the iconic Victoria Memorial and some other water bodies in Kolkata.
"Such floating solar stations would generate more energy as research has shown that if the panels stay cooler, they generate more energy, up by 16 percent," Gon Chaudhuri told IANS.
According to him, applications have been forwarded to Victoria Memorial authorities and plans to utilise other areas near EM Bypass are also on the anvil.
"Each station would require around 3,000 square feet of space to generate 20 kilo watt of power. There are many water bodies that could be used for this," said Gon Chaudhury.
The research has been completed and the project, funded by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, is expected to be implemented by 2014.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'