First samples obtained from sub-glacial Antarctic lake
Moscow: Russian researchers have obtained the first sample of transparent ice from the water of a unique sub-glacial lake in Antarctica during drilling operations, the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute said.
In February 2012, after decades of drilling, Russian scientists finally managed to penetrate Antarctica`s ice sheet at a depth of some 3.7 km to reveal the secrets of Lake Vostok, which had been sealed there for the past 20 million years.
Explorers hope Vostok, which is the largest of Antarctica`s buried network of icebound lakes and also one of the largest lakes in the world, could reveal new forms of life and show how life evolved before the ice age.
Scientists have previously examined water samples received when they drilled deep into the lake back in 2012, but they were not sure these were samples of lake water rather than water inside the glacier above the lake.
So in order to receive ice right from the lake, researchers drilled into the glacier once again in January 2013.
"The first core of transparent lake ice, two metres long, was obtained on January 10 at a depth of 3,406 metres. Inside it was a vertical channel filled with white bubble-rich ice," the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, part of the Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring, said in a statement.
The institute said the composition and origin of the new core are being determined.
The discovery of the hidden lakes of Antarctica in the 1990s sparked much enthusiasm among scientists all over the world. Some think the ice cap above and at the edges created a hydrostatic seal with the surface that prevented lake water from escaping and kept anything else from getting inside.
Ice from Lake Vostok may have special physical properties which are different from those of ordinary ice, said Vyacheslav Martyanov, the head of the Russian Antarctic Expedition`s logistics centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...