First sea drilling platform for Arctic begins testing
Arkhangelsk: The Russian shipyard in Severodvinsk has begun testing the first sea drilling platform for Gazprom`s operations in the Arctic.
The self-lifting drilling rig called Arkticheskaya (Arctic) was placed on 139-meter-high pillars in Zvyozdochka shipyard. "It was the first stage of the comprehensive
dockside trial for the drilling rig," the shipyard`s press service said on Monday, adding that the platform would be handed over to Gazprom in the summer of 2010.
The construction of the platform for Gazflot, a subsidiary of Gazprom, began in 1995. Later the company decided to revise the project in order to increase the operational properties and economic effectiveness of the platform.
The maximum sea depth for drilling has been increased from 30 to 100 metres, which allows the platform to be used in a larger number of offshore areas. The platform will be used for drilling operations in the Arctic.
The platform was designed by the Sevastopol-based Korall. The self-propelled platform is 88 metres long, 66 metres wide and 9.7 metres high, weighs over 16,000 tonnes and needs a crew of 90 people. It can drill 12 wells as deep as 6.5 kms.
Earlier, Zvyozdochka and Gazprom`s subsidiary Sevmorneftegaz signed an agreement on cooperation in the development of Arctic offshore oil and gas fields.
The agreement focuses on the development of infrastructure of one of Zvyozdochka`s branches, 35th Ship Repair Plant, in Murmansk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks