First sea drilling platform for Arctic begins testing
Arkhangelsk: The Russian shipyard in Severodvinsk has begun testing the first sea drilling platform for Gazprom`s operations in the Arctic.
The self-lifting drilling rig called Arkticheskaya (Arctic) was placed on 139-meter-high pillars in Zvyozdochka shipyard. "It was the first stage of the comprehensive
dockside trial for the drilling rig," the shipyard`s press service said on Monday, adding that the platform would be handed over to Gazprom in the summer of 2010.
The construction of the platform for Gazflot, a subsidiary of Gazprom, began in 1995. Later the company decided to revise the project in order to increase the operational properties and economic effectiveness of the platform.
The maximum sea depth for drilling has been increased from 30 to 100 metres, which allows the platform to be used in a larger number of offshore areas. The platform will be used for drilling operations in the Arctic.
The platform was designed by the Sevastopol-based Korall. The self-propelled platform is 88 metres long, 66 metres wide and 9.7 metres high, weighs over 16,000 tonnes and needs a crew of 90 people. It can drill 12 wells as deep as 6.5 kms.
Earlier, Zvyozdochka and Gazprom`s subsidiary Sevmorneftegaz signed an agreement on cooperation in the development of Arctic offshore oil and gas fields.
The agreement focuses on the development of infrastructure of one of Zvyozdochka`s branches, 35th Ship Repair Plant, in Murmansk.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list