Flamingos use preening oil to brighten up, attract mates
London: A preening oil which flamingos use to waterproof their feathers also brightens them up, says a new study. Applied most frequently and vigorously just ahead of the breeding season, it seems the birds, like humans, use make-up to attract a mate!
Rubbed onto the neck, breast and back, the pigments in the waxy substance brighten the signature pink hue of their plumage.
And just like in the human world, the female of the species uses make-up more often, reports the Daily Mail.
The fascinating insight into the life of the greater flamingo, the largest of the species, comes from a three-year study of birds living in the wetlands of southern Spain, according to the journal Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology.
The researchers noticed that many birds deliberately rubbed their cheeks against glands near the base of their tails and then immediately onto their neck, breast and back feathers.
Tests showed that the oil rich in pigments called carotenoids. The same compounds were found in the birds` feathers. The main source of the birds` pink colour comes from pigments in the food they eat.
But the make-up enhances the effect, with the birds that applied it the most becoming
the most colourful, researcher Juan Amat from Donana Biological Station in Seville, Spain said: "The rubbing is time-consuming. And the more frequently the birds practise it, the more coloured they appear."
"If the birds stop rubbing, plumage colour fades in a few days because carotenoids bleach quickly in the sunlight."
What is more, the birds applied the oil much more frequently in the months when they
were looking for a mate.
Professor Matthew Anderson of Saint Joseph`s University in Philadelphia in the US said: "It now appears that flamingos may be paying as much attention to their vibrant colouration as we are."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan