Foundations of meeting house discovered in Wales may pre-date pyramids
London: The foundations of a large prehistoric building older than Egypt’s pyramids have been discovered in Wales.
The meetinghouse, which was, at least 50ft long were uncovered as builders worked on a new housing estate in Monmouth.
Archaeologists are mystified by the ‘unique’ find and say that nothing like it has ever been found in Britain.
After studying the foundations, made up of 3ft-wide tree trunks, experts believe the building was a long house constructed on the edge of a long-lost lake which has silted up over time.
Monmouth Archaeology has dated the find to at least the Bronze Age - but it could be early Neolithic about 6,500 years ago.
The pyramids in Egypt were built about 4,500 years ago.
“We’re not really sure what it is. It’s a mystery, but it’s the foundation for something. We haven’t seen anything like it,” the Daily Mail quoted archaeologist Steve Clarke said.
“We think it’s a long house which would have been home to a family, and perhaps used for gatherings and meetings.
“We think it could be from the Bronze Age but some of the experts we’ve brought in to see it think it could be early Neolithic. If that’s the case it could easily pre-date the pyramids,” he said.
The building’s wooden foundations were at least 50ft long and were made from entire tree trunks, measuring about a metre wide.
Clarke said that most of the known long houses were built on posts about a 1ft wide, but trees had been used for the base of the Monmouth structure.
The find is on the Parc Glyndwr development in Monmouth, where about 80 houses are to be built.
Monmouth Archaeology was employed by the housing developers to study the site.
Archaeologists have ordered radio-carbon tests of the foundations and the results are expected later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan