Fungi wrapped by Darwin in newspaper found in Cambridge
London: Fungi and seaweed collected by Charles Darwin on the Beagle`s voyage to South America in 1832-33 have been found still wrapped in an 1828 newspaper by a librarian at Cambridge University.
The forgotten collection was found when curators at the Sainsbury laboratory examined an unmarked cardboard box in the collection, the Daily Mail reported.
"I was going through a box labelled in 1950 `to be sorted`. Inside it, wrapped in a newspaper from 1828, I found fungi and seaweed collected by Charles Darwin on the Beagle Voyage in South America during 1832 and 1833," chief technician Christine Bartram was quoted as saying.
Also found in a brown paper bag were plant specimens collected by C.G. Seligmann, doctor on the 1898 Cambridge Anthropological Expedition to the Torres Strait Islands.
Sent to Cambridge for the University Herbarium`s scientific collection of pressed plants from around the world, the specimens were stored away and never looked at since.
The artefacts, part of Darwin`s history-changing work on evolution, were still wrapped in the private ads section of a newspaper Darwin had, the daily said.
Bartram said they have not been taken out of their newspaper packaging since Darwin`s mentor Professor John Henslow examined them in the 1840s.
The samples will now be examined and photographed and added to an online catalogue so that they can be viewed by experts around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!