Ganga rejuvenation roadmap to be prepared in one month
New Delhi: As part of plans for Ganga`s rejuvenation, transport of passengers and goods between Varanasi and Hooghly on the Hindu holy river is being contemplated, an official statement said Friday.
Road Transport, Highways and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari chaired a meeting to lay a roadmap for Ganga rejuvenation, the statement said.
In the meeting, also attended by Environment and Forest Minister Prakash Javadekar along with Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Uma Bharti, a decision was taken to constitute an inter-ministerial committee of secretaries under the chairmanship of water resources secretary for preparing a plan for Ganga rejuvenation in about a month`s time.
"We have decided to meet from time to time to take forward this issue which is a priority of the government and a subject included in their party-manifesto. Such parameters will be extended for development of other rivers of the country also,"Uma Bharti told the media after the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city