Geo-engineering could offset warming effects
Washington: A team of leading researchers from the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) have developed a unique process to offset global warming caused by greenhouse gases.
Solar geo-engineering involves reflecting sunlight back into space. By increasing the concentrations of aerosols in the air or by creating low-altitude marine clouds, the proposed solar geo-engineering projects would scatter incoming solar heat away from the Earth`s surface.
Critics of geo-engineering have long warned that it would have unequal effects worldwide and could result in unforeseen consequences. They argue that the potential gains may not be worth the risk, according to a Harvard statement.
Gordon McKay, professor of applied physics at SEAS, said: "Instead, we can be thoughtful about various tradeoffs to achieve more selective results, such as the trade-off between minimizing global climate changes and minimizing residual changes at the worst-off location."
The study -- developed in collaboration with Douglas G. MacMartin of the California Institute of Technology, Ken Caldeira of the Carnegie Institution for Science, and Ben Kravitz, formerly of Carnegie and now at the Department of Energy -- explores the feasibility of using solar geo-engineering to counter the loss of Arctic sea ice.
"We found that tailored solar geo-engineering might limit Arctic sea ice loss with several times less total solar shading than would be needed in a uniform case," said McKay.
"These results indicate that varying geo-engineering efforts by region and over different periods of time could potentially improve the effectiveness of solar geo-engineering and reduce climate impacts in at-risk areas," says co-author Ken Caldeira, senior ecology scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray