Glaciologist demands apology from Pachauri for `voodoo` remark
New Delhi: India`s senior-most glaciologist
V K Raina today said the chief of the UN climate body should
apologise to the scientist fraternity for dubbing their work
on melting of Himalayan glaciers as "voodoo science".
Raina`s demand comes even as the UN body, Intergovernmental
Panel on Climate change (IPCC) headed by R K Pachauri,
deliberates on retracting its statement on Himalayan glaciers
"The IPCC had dumped our report that the glaciers have
not retreated abnormally. Now, with the truth out in open, the
IPCC should dump its own report which was based on mere
speculation," Raina told news agencies.
He was reacting to the revelations that the UN panel`s
predictions that the Himalayan glaciers will melt by 2035
stemmed from a 1999 article in a scientific journal which
relied on an estimate made by a glaciologist Syed Iqbal
Hasnain and not based on a peer review.
IPCC must be answerable to all the scientists and experts
associated who stand vindicated that glaciers melting is not
being happening at the abnormal pace as declared by it, Raina
"It only shows that IPCC has based its arguments on
speculations and did not verify it before making it public,"
the former Deputy Director General of the Geological Survey of
Raina, in his report, had maintained that glaciers have
"not shown any remarkable retreat in the last 50 years and
the reports of the glaciers demise are a bit premature."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list