Global cooling trend ended in 19th century
Washington: Analysis of 2,000 years of climate records has found that a long-term cooling trend-caused by factors including fluctuations in the amount and distribution of heat from the sun, and increases in volcanic activity-ended late in the 19th century.
The study also found that the 20th century ranks as the warmest or nearly the warmest century on all of the continents, except Antarctica. Africa had insufficient data to be included in the analysis.
Global warming that has occurred since the end of the 19th century reversed a persistent long-term global cooling trend, said the researchers.
A consortium of 78 authors from 24 countries, some of them supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF), also noted that there were regional differences in temperature evolution.
The researchers are members of the "2K Network" of the International Geosphere Biosphere Program (IGBP) Past Global Changes (PAGES) project. The Swiss National Science Foundation and the US NSF jointly support the PAGES International Project Office.
Because long-range cooling was caused by natural factors that continued to exist in the 20th century, the researchers argued, the warming of the 20th century makes it more difficult to discount the effects of the increase of greenhouse gases in the global increase of temperatures measured in recent decades.
However, the researchers noted, their study was not specifically designed to assess the extent to which temperature changes can be attributed to various natural and human-caused factors.
The research will appear in the May 2013 issue of the journal Nature Geoscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video