Global warming consigning Australia`s Bondi beach to history
Sydney: Bondi beach is going to shrink to a thin ribbon of sand and extreme storms are going to reach the top of its concrete sea wall, according to a research commissioned by the local council.
The latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), found that the sea level is going to rise and could be expected to be up to 80 centimetres higher by the end of the century.
In case there is an 80-centimetre rise, high tides are going to flood many Sydney suburbs located close to water, which includes sections of Annandale, Mosman, Marrickville, Brighton-le-Sands, Sylvania Waters, Five Dock and Narrabeen.
According to New South Wales Greens MP David Shoebridge, the council`s own research shows that beach is going to recede dramatically - by about 20 metres in 2050 and 45 metres in 2100.
The research is in a 2011 report that was commissioned by the council by consultancy WorleyParsons.
According to Council figures, the north and south ends of the beach presently measure about 60 metres, widening to 120 metres at the centre.
The figures also show that the ocean is going to surge over the sea wall during a one in 100-year storm event, which is going to swamp waterfront parks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack