Global warming helping trees grow faster
Washington: Global warming is helping trees
to grow at a faster rate now than they have done in the past
200 years due to higher temperatures and more carbon dioxide
into the atmosphere, American researchers have claimed.
After studying the growth of 55 forests in the eastern
United States for over 20 years, the scientists from the
Smithsonian Environmental Research Centre in Maryland found
that the recent tree growth "greatly exceeded the expected
They suggested that global warming is helping trees to
grow faster as it brings higher temperatures, longer growing
seasons and more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
In one forest, studied by the researchers, an extra 1.8
tonnes of timber per acre is appearing each year. "The trees,
in Maryland, are sprouting up more quickly than at any time in
the past 225 years," the scientists said.
Lead researcher Geoffrey Parker said: "We made a list of
reasons why these forests could be growing faster and then
ruled half of them out".
"The best explanation was a response to climate change,
he was quotes as saying by the journal Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences.
In the past 22 years, carbon dioxide levels where the
study was conducted had risen 12 per cent, the average
temperature had increased by nearly three tenths of a degree,
and the growing season had lengthened by 7.8 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray