Global wind shifts ended last Ice Age?
Washington: Scientists have claimed
that global wind shifts many have ushered in a warmer climate
and the birth of human civilisation at the end of the last Ice
Age about 20,000 years ago.
An international team has looked to a global shift
in winds and propose a chain of events that began with melting
of the large northern hemisphere ice sheets about 20,000 years
ago, the `Science` journal reported.
The melting ice sheets reconfigured the planet`s wind
belts, pushing warm air and seawater south, and pulling carbon
dioxide from the deep ocean into the atmosphere, allowing the
planet to heat even further. Their hypothesis makes use of
climate data preserved in cave formations, polar ice cores and
deep-sea sediments to describe how Earth finally thawed out.
"Finally, we have a clear picture of the global
teleconnections in Earth`s climate system that are active
across many time scales.
"These same linkages that brought the earth out of the
last ice age are active today, and they will almost certainly
play a role in future climate change as well," Bob Anderson at
Columbia University, who led the team.
Earth regularly goes into an ice age every 100,000
years or so, as its orientation toward the sun shifts in what
are called Milankovitch cycles.
At the peak of the last ice age, about 20,000 years
ago, with New York City and large parts of Europe and Asia
buried under thick sheets of ice, Earth`s orbit shifted.
It may sound counterintuitive, but the scientists say
freshening of the North Atlantic triggered a series of cold
spells in Greenland and northern Europe by shutting down the
Gulf Stream current, which usually carries warm water north
from the equator.
By 16,000 years ago, the glaciers had beaten a
spectacular retreat. This shift in westerly winds would also
amplify the warming in both hemispheres by resetting the
planet`s thermostat, according to the scientists.
The displaced westerlies caused heavy mixing in the
Southern Ocean around Antarctica, pumping dissolved carbon
dioxide from the water into the air. Ice core records show
that between 18,000 and 11,000 years ago atmospheric carbon
dioxide levels rose from 185 parts per million to 265 parts
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly