GM food only way to feed starving people: US scientist
Kochi: The `spat` over GM vegetables on
ethical grounds was meaningless while millions of people are
starving in the world, renowned biomaterial scientist of the
US Prof Buddy D Ratner said Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, Prof Ratner, Director,
University of Washington, Engineered Biomaterials, said the
only way ahead to feed these people was available food
varieties and supplements brought out through Research and
Development in biotechnology.
Those opposing it on ethical grounds should consider the
issue of starvation and support R&D in this area, he said.
Earlier, in his keynote address at the "International
Conference on Biomaterials, Artificial Organs and Tissue
Engineering," he claimed his institute has developed a new
technology by which biomaterials can independently grow as
stem cells in the body.
This would avoid usage of foreign cells in healthcare
treatment, a revolutionary step in saving lives of millions in
the world suffering from various ailments, he said.
He said India was well ahead of China in biomaterial
research and development and on par with R&D in the US and
The conference was organised by SCMS Institute of
Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket