GM food only way to feed starving people: US scientist
Kochi: The `spat` over GM vegetables on
ethical grounds was meaningless while millions of people are
starving in the world, renowned biomaterial scientist of the
US Prof Buddy D Ratner said Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, Prof Ratner, Director,
University of Washington, Engineered Biomaterials, said the
only way ahead to feed these people was available food
varieties and supplements brought out through Research and
Development in biotechnology.
Those opposing it on ethical grounds should consider the
issue of starvation and support R&D in this area, he said.
Earlier, in his keynote address at the "International
Conference on Biomaterials, Artificial Organs and Tissue
Engineering," he claimed his institute has developed a new
technology by which biomaterials can independently grow as
stem cells in the body.
This would avoid usage of foreign cells in healthcare
treatment, a revolutionary step in saving lives of millions in
the world suffering from various ailments, he said.
He said India was well ahead of China in biomaterial
research and development and on par with R&D in the US and
The conference was organised by SCMS Institute of
Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, KKR vs SRH: Colin Munro's run-out was the turning point of the match, says Gautam Gambhir
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, Class X Results 2016 (cbse.nic.in) to be declared on May 30 not today on May 27 or May 28
- Whoa! Kareena Kapoor Khan gets bigger role in Sonam Kapoor's 'Veera Di Shaadi'?
- Faux pas: Ghaziabad cops verify Rahul Gandhi as a driver residing in Indirapuram