GM food only way to feed starving people: US scientist
Kochi: The `spat` over GM vegetables on
ethical grounds was meaningless while millions of people are
starving in the world, renowned biomaterial scientist of the
US Prof Buddy D Ratner said Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, Prof Ratner, Director,
University of Washington, Engineered Biomaterials, said the
only way ahead to feed these people was available food
varieties and supplements brought out through Research and
Development in biotechnology.
Those opposing it on ethical grounds should consider the
issue of starvation and support R&D in this area, he said.
Earlier, in his keynote address at the "International
Conference on Biomaterials, Artificial Organs and Tissue
Engineering," he claimed his institute has developed a new
technology by which biomaterials can independently grow as
stem cells in the body.
This would avoid usage of foreign cells in healthcare
treatment, a revolutionary step in saving lives of millions in
the world suffering from various ailments, he said.
He said India was well ahead of China in biomaterial
research and development and on par with R&D in the US and
The conference was organised by SCMS Institute of
Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!