GM food only way to feed starving people: US scientist
Kochi: The `spat` over GM vegetables on
ethical grounds was meaningless while millions of people are
starving in the world, renowned biomaterial scientist of the
US Prof Buddy D Ratner said Sunday.
Speaking to reporters here, Prof Ratner, Director,
University of Washington, Engineered Biomaterials, said the
only way ahead to feed these people was available food
varieties and supplements brought out through Research and
Development in biotechnology.
Those opposing it on ethical grounds should consider the
issue of starvation and support R&D in this area, he said.
Earlier, in his keynote address at the "International
Conference on Biomaterials, Artificial Organs and Tissue
Engineering," he claimed his institute has developed a new
technology by which biomaterials can independently grow as
stem cells in the body.
This would avoid usage of foreign cells in healthcare
treatment, a revolutionary step in saving lives of millions in
the world suffering from various ailments, he said.
He said India was well ahead of China in biomaterial
research and development and on par with R&D in the US and
The conference was organised by SCMS Institute of
Bioscience and Biotechnology Research and Development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter