Goa govt modernises wireless connectivity to check poaching
Panaji: In a bid to thwart poaching incidents, Goa forest department has networked all its offices through latest wireless technology replacing the conventional system which had limited applications.
Moving a step further to crack on illegal hunting of animals, the department has managed to connect all its ground-level offices and jeeps involved in patrolling with wireless system, which helps them keep connected round-the-clock, Deputy Conservator of Forest (HQ) Debendra Dalai has said.
"Towers have been installed in wildlife sanctuaries at a higher altitude which aids the wireless system to connect all the range officers, deputy conservators and even chief wildlife warden, back in Panaji," he said.
Goa has six wildlife sanctuaries including a national park, which are part of the Western Ghat hill ranges.
Dalai said that the department has formed a dedicated anti-poaching squad who patrol even during night.
"There is a possibility that sometimes poachers can outnumber the department staff. In such crucial circumstances, wireless system comes handy to call for extra support from the teams nearby," Dalai said.
The forest department, during early monsoon showers, usually gets busy on picking up the trail of poachers who try to hunt down Indian Bull Frogs who surface during this time of the year for breeding.
The absence of mobile phone range in the wildlife sanctuaries had kept the forest department officials disconnected from the mainstream during their regular duties.
The conventional wireless system had a limited range, Dalai said.
"The wireless was useful only within the forest range. Range Forest Officer could not get connected with the district or state headquarters," he said.
The funding for the modernisation has been drawn from Central government-sponsored compensatory afforestation fund management and planning authority (CAMPA). Dalai said Rs 40 lakh earmarked for the purpose last year has been utilised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM