Goa govt modernises wireless connectivity to check poaching
Panaji: In a bid to thwart poaching incidents, Goa forest department has networked all its offices through latest wireless technology replacing the conventional system which had limited applications.
Moving a step further to crack on illegal hunting of animals, the department has managed to connect all its ground-level offices and jeeps involved in patrolling with wireless system, which helps them keep connected round-the-clock, Deputy Conservator of Forest (HQ) Debendra Dalai has said.
"Towers have been installed in wildlife sanctuaries at a higher altitude which aids the wireless system to connect all the range officers, deputy conservators and even chief wildlife warden, back in Panaji," he said.
Goa has six wildlife sanctuaries including a national park, which are part of the Western Ghat hill ranges.
Dalai said that the department has formed a dedicated anti-poaching squad who patrol even during night.
"There is a possibility that sometimes poachers can outnumber the department staff. In such crucial circumstances, wireless system comes handy to call for extra support from the teams nearby," Dalai said.
The forest department, during early monsoon showers, usually gets busy on picking up the trail of poachers who try to hunt down Indian Bull Frogs who surface during this time of the year for breeding.
The absence of mobile phone range in the wildlife sanctuaries had kept the forest department officials disconnected from the mainstream during their regular duties.
The conventional wireless system had a limited range, Dalai said.
"The wireless was useful only within the forest range. Range Forest Officer could not get connected with the district or state headquarters," he said.
The funding for the modernisation has been drawn from Central government-sponsored compensatory afforestation fund management and planning authority (CAMPA). Dalai said Rs 40 lakh earmarked for the purpose last year has been utilised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...