Goa govt modernises wireless connectivity to check poaching
Panaji: In a bid to thwart poaching incidents, Goa forest department has networked all its offices through latest wireless technology replacing the conventional system which had limited applications.
Moving a step further to crack on illegal hunting of animals, the department has managed to connect all its ground-level offices and jeeps involved in patrolling with wireless system, which helps them keep connected round-the-clock, Deputy Conservator of Forest (HQ) Debendra Dalai has said.
"Towers have been installed in wildlife sanctuaries at a higher altitude which aids the wireless system to connect all the range officers, deputy conservators and even chief wildlife warden, back in Panaji," he said.
Goa has six wildlife sanctuaries including a national park, which are part of the Western Ghat hill ranges.
Dalai said that the department has formed a dedicated anti-poaching squad who patrol even during night.
"There is a possibility that sometimes poachers can outnumber the department staff. In such crucial circumstances, wireless system comes handy to call for extra support from the teams nearby," Dalai said.
The forest department, during early monsoon showers, usually gets busy on picking up the trail of poachers who try to hunt down Indian Bull Frogs who surface during this time of the year for breeding.
The absence of mobile phone range in the wildlife sanctuaries had kept the forest department officials disconnected from the mainstream during their regular duties.
The conventional wireless system had a limited range, Dalai said.
"The wireless was useful only within the forest range. Range Forest Officer could not get connected with the district or state headquarters," he said.
The funding for the modernisation has been drawn from Central government-sponsored compensatory afforestation fund management and planning authority (CAMPA). Dalai said Rs 40 lakh earmarked for the purpose last year has been utilised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in