Goa`s floating casinos ruining Mandoi river: Panel
Goa`s floating casinos dumping sewage into river: Panel
Panaji: A legislative panel has slammed the Goa government for allowing offshore casinos and cruise vessels to dump raw sewage into the Mandovi river that runs by this state capital.
"The committee is aghast by learning that the gaming vessels, casinos and boat cruises are releasing all kinds of waste into the Mandovi river thereby causing severe water pollution," the panel for ports` administration said in its report tabled Friday during the monsoon session of the Goa assembly.
The committee, headed by Babu Kavlekar of the ruling Congress-led coalition, also asked the state government to initiate proper measures to dispose sewage, garbage and oil.
"The committee is surprised that the government did not take cognisance all these years of the waste that the vessels were releasing into the Mandovi river," the report said.
Seven offshore casinos and nearly a dozen pleasure cruise vessels ply on the Mandovi river.
The report also lambasted the government for not taking any measures to prevent collisions of vessels in the Mandovi river, one of the state`s major waterbodies in which hundreds of barges ply transporting ore from the mining belt to the trans-shippers anchored portwards. The river also has a major fishing jetty, which is home to nearly 200 trawlers.
"The committee is disgusted to acknowledge that the government has not taken any measures to prevent accidents and collisions," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered