Going by science, Bt Brinjal is safe: Prithviraj Chavan
New Delhi: Days after the Environment Ministry put a moratorium on the introduction of Bt Brinjal into India, Science Minister Prithviraj Chavan said here that there is no point "emotionalising the issue" as science finds the crop safe for humans.
"Let`s not emotionalise the issue and discuss it on the basis of science. We are satisfied and if we go by science alone, Bt Brinjal is safe for human consumption," Chavan said here.
"Scientists working in the field are satisfied. The whole exercise of over 9 years (of research) tells that it is safe. There are three stages of bio safety checks and all have positive results," he told reporters late Saturday.
The minister said he will give a statement on the floor of Parliament.
"I am going to set up a bio technology regulatory authority," he said assuring to solve any problem related to GM products.
On February 9, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh put a moratorium on Bt Brinjal seeking more safety tests to satisfy those opposing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Kazakhstan accuses protesters of trying to oust government
- Coalition warplanes pummel Islamic State in Syria bastion
- Pakistanis hit back as clerics say men can 'beat' wives
- BJP to fight UP polls on development plank, not Ram temple issue: Rajnath Singh
- Rajan finished SMEs to help American MNCs: Swamy