Going by science, Bt Brinjal is safe: Prithviraj Chavan
New Delhi: Days after the Environment Ministry put a moratorium on the introduction of Bt Brinjal into India, Science Minister Prithviraj Chavan said here that there is no point "emotionalising the issue" as science finds the crop safe for humans.
"Let`s not emotionalise the issue and discuss it on the basis of science. We are satisfied and if we go by science alone, Bt Brinjal is safe for human consumption," Chavan said here.
"Scientists working in the field are satisfied. The whole exercise of over 9 years (of research) tells that it is safe. There are three stages of bio safety checks and all have positive results," he told reporters late Saturday.
The minister said he will give a statement on the floor of Parliament.
"I am going to set up a bio technology regulatory authority," he said assuring to solve any problem related to GM products.
On February 9, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh put a moratorium on Bt Brinjal seeking more safety tests to satisfy those opposing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why