Good old bananas at threat of extinction!
London: Researchers are `incredibly concerned` for fate of banana as plagues and fungus infections spread across world`s supplies, it has been revealed.
The government in Costa Rica, one of the biggest suppliers of the fruit, has declared a "national emergency" over the state of its crop after its half-a-billion-dollar banana export industry has been hit by two separate plagues of mealybugs and scale insects, the Independent reported.
According to Magda Gonzalez, the director of the agriculture ministry`s State Phytosanitary Services (SFE), climate change had boosted insect populations in recent years, making plagues increasingly likely across the world.
Gonzale told The Tico Times that the insects weaken plants and cause blemishes on fruit, leading to vast batches being rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof