Govt approves Rs 351-cr scheme on water conservation awareness
New Delhi: The government today approved a Rs 351 crore project to increase awareness among children, industrialists and farmers towards water conservation and improve the demand side management of available water resources.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the implementation of the Human Resources Development and Capacity Building Scheme in the Ministry of Water Resources, with a total financial outlay of Rs 351 crore during the 12th Plan period.
The scheme proposes to generate awareness about water use efficiency, conservation and management of water by targeting various stakeholders including general public, school children, agriculturists, industrialists and other water users, an official statement said.
Existing training institutions, including National Water Academy (NWA), Rajiv Gandhi
National Ground Water Training and Research Institute (RGI), North Eastern Regional Institute of Water and Land Management, Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Central Water Commission (CWC) will be strengthened under the scheme.
The average annual potential of utilisable water in the country remains constant at 1,121 billion cubic metre (BCM) (690 BCM surface water and 431 BCM ground water).
However, the demand for water is rising rapidly with an estimated requirement of 1,180 BCM by the year 2050.
Supply side management has limitations since most of the options of harnessing available water have already been utilised and the incremental cost of harnessing newer sources like desalination entail higher cost.
According to the proposal, demand side management could be improved by enhancing water use efficiency in the field of agriculture, industry and domestic water supply.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list