Govt approves Rs 351-cr scheme on water conservation awareness
New Delhi: The government today approved a Rs 351 crore project to increase awareness among children, industrialists and farmers towards water conservation and improve the demand side management of available water resources.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, approved the implementation of the Human Resources Development and Capacity Building Scheme in the Ministry of Water Resources, with a total financial outlay of Rs 351 crore during the 12th Plan period.
The scheme proposes to generate awareness about water use efficiency, conservation and management of water by targeting various stakeholders including general public, school children, agriculturists, industrialists and other water users, an official statement said.
Existing training institutions, including National Water Academy (NWA), Rajiv Gandhi
National Ground Water Training and Research Institute (RGI), North Eastern Regional Institute of Water and Land Management, Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), Central Water Commission (CWC) will be strengthened under the scheme.
The average annual potential of utilisable water in the country remains constant at 1,121 billion cubic metre (BCM) (690 BCM surface water and 431 BCM ground water).
However, the demand for water is rising rapidly with an estimated requirement of 1,180 BCM by the year 2050.
Supply side management has limitations since most of the options of harnessing available water have already been utilised and the incremental cost of harnessing newer sources like desalination entail higher cost.
According to the proposal, demand side management could be improved by enhancing water use efficiency in the field of agriculture, industry and domestic water supply.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town