`Govt taking steps to reduce quantum of plastic waste`
Madurai: The government is taking steps, such as recycling, to reduce quantum of plastic wastes which are are proving to be a threat for environment and ecology, Union Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister MK Alagiri said on Saturday.
Thirty percent of the plastic are recycled and efforts were being taken to increase quantum of recycling further, he said at the `curtain raiser` function of `India Chem 2010` conference to be held at Mumbai from October 28-30.
He said plastic wastes "are proving to be a threat for environment and ecology, worst than even effluents from chemical factories."
The conference would discuss ways of overcoming problems arising out of "plastic wastes", which had multiplied with development of industries in the country.
It would also focus on recycling plastic and converting its waste into fuel and other useful materials.
"Research is already on in a big way in this direction," Alagiri said.
In order to enhance dominance of India in chemical industry, more petroleum, chemical and petrochemical investment regions (PCPIRs) would be started, he said.
After the successful setting up of PCPIRs In Gujarat, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh, efforts were on to set them in Tamil Nadu and Orissa, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation