Great Barrier Reef could be destroyed `permanently`
Sydney: Great Barrier Reef could be destroyed permanently due to climate change and the development of coal terminals on the Queensland coast, a marine expert has warned.
In a speech at the David Thomas Conservation Oration in Sydney , Professor Callum Roberts will say that the Great Barrier Reef is under threat once again.
Prof Roberts, a marine conservation biologist at the University of York in England, has said that the threat of oil and gas exploitation on reef in 1960s and 1970s really triggered national anxiety about the reef and grew the movement to protect it in perpetuity in a marine park.
Although the park is doing its very best to protect the reef well, it is being subjected to climate change impacts, which respect no borders, he added.
He pointed out that there is a major push towards industrialisation of the Queensland coast for the construction of ports and harbours, particularly coal export facilities.
Prof Roberts said that to properly safeguard Australia`s marine environment, a conversation about the long-term ramifications of a booming resources sector will be necessary, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka