Great Indian Bustard now `critically endangered`
Mumbai: The Great Indian Bustard, one of the largest species of birds, is on the brink of extinction with barely 250 alive, a top international conservation body announced Tuesday.
The Great Indian Bustard (Ardeotis Nigriceps), standing nearly a metre tall, is named on the International Union for Conservation of Nature`s Red List of Threatened Species, released by its partner, BirdLife International globally Tuesday.
The bird has been uplisted to "Critically Endangered" or the highest threat level, due to hunting, disturbances, habitat loss and fragmentation, IUCN said.
Weighing around 15 kgs, the Great Indian Bustard was once commonly seen on the grasslands of India and Pakistan, but is now pushed to small and isolated fragments of its remaining habitat.
It is now seen in parts of central and western India or in some sanctuaries and zoos, but efforts to breed it in captivity have largely failed.
"In an ever more crowded world, species that need lots of space, such as the Great Indian Bustard, are losing out. However, we are the ones who lose in the long run, as the services that nature provides us start to disappear," said BirdLife`s director (Science & Policy) Leon Bennun.
This year`s update brings the total number of threatened bird species to 1,253, an alarming 13 percent of the total in the world, Bennun said.
"In the space of a year another 13 bird species have moved into the threatened categories," said IUCN deputy director Jean-Christophe Vie.
Vie termed it as "a disturbing trend" but said that the figure would be much worse if conservation initiatives were not in place.
Other species on the new list include the Bahama Oriole (Icterus northropi) and the population of this beautiful black and yellow Caribbean bird is estimated at around 180.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow