Green activist warns rising India of `swimming` in waste
New Delhi: Robert Swan, the only person to walk to the North and South Poles, today warned "economically- rising" India that it will end up "swimming in waste" if it forgets the lessons of sustainability.
The 56-year-old activist, however, has good words for Indian youth whom he said had the best attitude in the world towards environment.
"If India goes on the way it is going with only economic growth concerns, it is going to end up with a lot of wealth, no water and swimming in its own waste.
"I saw heaps of garbage in IT city Bangalore, in Delhi and other cities. The government stakeholders must put sustainability on their agenda," Swan told PTI on the sidelines of launch of fifth phase of `Project SEARCH`.
The explorer is known worldwide for his `2041 Foundation` work which takes select candidates to Antarctica every year to create what he calls "environment champions" for the larger goal of saving the `ice planet`.
"We travel to Antarctica every year and last year 80 people from 28 nations were with us.
And what they realised when they reached there was that nature could slap us back in fury if we violated it. But, it also gave them hope and do what could be possible...," he added.
Hailing the enthusiasm of Indian youth towards environment as the "best in the world", he said said it is the country`s youth that "still keeps him going in India".
"I have travelled to so many countries and met so many people but I found the Indian youth`s enthusiasm on the issue of environment the best in the world, and that is what still keeps me going in India," Swan said.
The event saw schools from across India being felicitated for their projects.
"The reason I have continued with SEARCH is because most sustainable projects tend to go too slow, or too soon or too short. But this is for the long-run and it is going steady and despite so much of environmental issues in India, it provides hope and positivity to go on," Swan said.
Swan applauded the efforts of young minds in schools to "recycle 800 kilogrammes of cartons" through the project. "I mean I have met those kids and they are pretty smart. And this 800 kgs of recycling cartons is just amazing," he said.
Schoolteacher Seema Sharma, who was selected by 2041 for the International Antarctica Expedition (IAE) earlier this year, after her jingle campaign at Vidya Valley Public School, Pune won a competition conducted by the Project SEARCH, said, "Antarctica taught her valuable lessons to share".
"Antarctica taught me lessons in sustainability and when I came back I shared the wisdom gained there with my family and students. Recycling is the future," Sharma, who was felicitated at the function, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA