Green Mizoram Day launched
Aizawl: Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla today launched the `Green Mizoram Day 2012` by planting a tree sapling inside the headquarters of the 23 sector Assam Rifles at Khatla locality here.
The state government proposed to plant more than 2.86 lakh tree saplings this year and more than 20 lakh saplings have been planted since 1998 when the `Green Mizoram Day` was first launched till date.
The Day was also observed at the new headquarters of the 26th battalion of Assam Rifles at Zokhawsang near Aizawl where Urban Development Minister Zodintluanga, Commander of the 23 sector Assam Rifles Brig. S. P. Rawat, and Commandant of the 26th Assam Rifles Col. Gaurav Chaturvedi planted trees.
Government employees, students and members of the NGOs participated in the Day by planting trees in different parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez