Green norms violated at Niyamgiri Hills: Environment Min team
New Delhi: In a fresh jolt to mining
multinational Vedanta Resources, a Union Environment Ministry
team has found violations of green norms at its bauxite
project at Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi district of Orissa.
The three-member team which was asked to verify fresh
allegations of violations of the terms of the `in-principle`
approval submitted its report today to Environment Minister
"I would not subscribe to the high-profile campaign in
the case by various groups. But I am looking at the case on
But I can say that they have violated Forest Rights
Act, without taking consideration of the tribal rights.
Another area where my ministry had problem was that it
had started construction work in land that belonged to the
revenue department, though the project had not received
clearance," said Ramesh on the sidelines of a function here.
The minister added that he had been receiving a large
number of representations with regard to bauxite mining by
Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) through Vedanta.
After site inspection, the team while giving various
instances of violation said "this is a case of violation of
the F(C) Act and also of the environment guidelines."
Vedanta Resources, part of the USD 6.6 billion metals
and mining giant, Vedanta, is implementing various mining
projects in Orissa and Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah