Green norms violated at Niyamgiri Hills: Environment Min team
New Delhi: In a fresh jolt to mining
multinational Vedanta Resources, a Union Environment Ministry
team has found violations of green norms at its bauxite
project at Niyamgiri hills in Kalahandi district of Orissa.
The three-member team which was asked to verify fresh
allegations of violations of the terms of the `in-principle`
approval submitted its report today to Environment Minister
"I would not subscribe to the high-profile campaign in
the case by various groups. But I am looking at the case on
But I can say that they have violated Forest Rights
Act, without taking consideration of the tribal rights.
Another area where my ministry had problem was that it
had started construction work in land that belonged to the
revenue department, though the project had not received
clearance," said Ramesh on the sidelines of a function here.
The minister added that he had been receiving a large
number of representations with regard to bauxite mining by
Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) through Vedanta.
After site inspection, the team while giving various
instances of violation said "this is a case of violation of
the F(C) Act and also of the environment guidelines."
Vedanta Resources, part of the USD 6.6 billion metals
and mining giant, Vedanta, is implementing various mining
projects in Orissa and Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race