Green panel goes tough on Najafgarh drain basin buildings
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) Friday issued notices to the environment ministry and several environment groups in Delhi for failing to curb construction in the Najafgarh drain basin.
Questioning the over 70 environment clearances given to builders who have projects in the basin, the tribunal said the state was defying the Jan 13, 2010, notification of the environment ministry barring construction in the area.
"The central environment ministry has declared that the Delhi state environment impact authority shall not even consider giving environment clearances to builders who have their projects at the basin," said a statement issued by the NGT.
Besides the environment ministry, notices have been issued to the Central Pollution Control Board, the Delhi government, Delhi State Level Expert Appraisal Committee, State Environment Impact Assessment Authority, Delhi Pollution Control Committee and the Delhi Police chief.
"The police have been notified to assist in raids against these builders," said the statement.
The next hearing of the case has been slated for Feb 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report