`Green projects contributed to sustainable development`
New Delhi: Ninety-six percent of Indian industry believes the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) - investment in emission reduction projects - has contributed to sustainable development in the country, according to a survey released Thursday.
The FICCI survey titled `Impacts, Governance and Future of CDM - Indian Industry Perspective` found that amongst the investments made on energy efficiency and renewable energy projects, as many as 48 percent of respondents have made investments in energy efficiency projects followed by wind projects (28 percent).
"Indian industry has given big thumbs up to the continuation of CDM and market based mechanisms for climate change mitigation," it said.
"As high as 96 percent of respondents believe that CDM has contributed to sustainable development."
The CDM is a mechanism under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) that allows a developed country to implement an emission-reduction project in developing countries. Such projects can earn saleable certified emission reduction (CER) credits.
The FICCI survey, however, reveals that as many as 71 percent respondents have also said the lack of sufficient number of Designated Operational Entities (DOEs) -- is an independent auditor to validate project proposals -- affects the registration process and even increases costs associated with the projects.
The survey saw representation from diverse sectors including cement, chemicals, fertilisers, hydro, iron and steel, mining, oil and gas, pulp and paper, power, solar, sugar, transport and wind.
Stakeholder participation included industry, consultants, civil society groups, academia and government.
The CDM has proved to be a useful mechanism for industry to implement climate change mitigation measures and renewable energy projects.
The UNFCCC had constituted a high-level panel on CDM in 2011 to carry out consultations to take stock of the lessons learnt, resulting in recommendations on how to best position it for a continued strong role in the post 2012 carbon markets.
The India consultation was conducted by FICCI.
According to the survey, India continues to be an important player in CDM as it accounts for more than 800 registered projects and along with China hosts more than 70 percent of CDM projects in the world.
"As of July 2012, more than 1,600 companies in India are part of the CDM portfolio across more than 50 sectors," the survey said.
"A total of 2355 projects have been approved by the Government of India out of which around 850 have been registered by the CDM Executive Board of the UNFCCC," it said.
These recommendations come at a crucial time ahead of the UN climate change conference to be held in Doha at end of November this year.
The Doha conference is expected to have discussions and negotiations on new market mechanisms to check emissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday