Green Tribunal issues notices for damage to Dadri wetlands
New Delhi: Concerned over destruction of Dadri wetlands in the National Capital Region (NCR), the National Green Tribunal Wednesday issued notices to the union environment ministry and others for failing to take steps to protect the area.
The Dadri wetlands is the only area within 200 km radius of Delhi where blackbucks exist in their natural environment along with nilgais (Blue Bulls) and over 230 species of migratory birds.
The court also issued notices to the Uttar Pradesh government, Greater Noida Authority, Uttam Steels and Associates for destroying the wetland under the banner of Ansals API, and Shiv Nadar University after hearing a petition.
The petitioner, Akash Vashishtha, sought directions to the state government to declare Dadri wetlands as a protected area and restrain the builder and university from carrying out any construction activity in the surroundings.
Counsel for the petitioner Amit Khemka said: "It is strange that although the government authorities are well aware that builders are causing massive damage to these wetlands for monetary benefits for the last more than two years, no action was taken against them."
"The authorities are only dragging their feet and are allowing the rich biodiversity of the area to be destroyed," Khemka added.
The court has fixed July 10 as the next date of hearing in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state