Green Tribunal issues notices for damage to Dadri wetlands
New Delhi: Concerned over destruction of Dadri wetlands in the National Capital Region (NCR), the National Green Tribunal Wednesday issued notices to the union environment ministry and others for failing to take steps to protect the area.
The Dadri wetlands is the only area within 200 km radius of Delhi where blackbucks exist in their natural environment along with nilgais (Blue Bulls) and over 230 species of migratory birds.
The court also issued notices to the Uttar Pradesh government, Greater Noida Authority, Uttam Steels and Associates for destroying the wetland under the banner of Ansals API, and Shiv Nadar University after hearing a petition.
The petitioner, Akash Vashishtha, sought directions to the state government to declare Dadri wetlands as a protected area and restrain the builder and university from carrying out any construction activity in the surroundings.
Counsel for the petitioner Amit Khemka said: "It is strange that although the government authorities are well aware that builders are causing massive damage to these wetlands for monetary benefits for the last more than two years, no action was taken against them."
"The authorities are only dragging their feet and are allowing the rich biodiversity of the area to be destroyed," Khemka added.
The court has fixed July 10 as the next date of hearing in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing