Greenland`s ice sheet was smaller 3,000-5,000 years ago
Washington: Scientists have said that Greenland`s shrunken ice sheet was smaller than today about 3-5,000 years ago.
Jason Briner, PhD, University at Buffalo associate professor of geology, who led the study, said that on land, the atmosphere was warmest between 9,000 and 5,000 years ago, maybe as late as 4,000 years ago while the oceans were warmest between 5-3,000 years ago.
Growing ice sheet s are like bulldozers, pushing rocks, boulders and other detritus into heaps of rubble called moraines.
Researchers looked at 250 ancient clams from moraines in three western region and discovered that most of the fossils were between 3-5,000 years old.
Briner and his colleagues looked at the structure of clam`s amino acids - the building blocks of proteins - in the fossils of ancient clams. Amino acids come in two orientations that are mirror images of each other, known as D and L, and living organisms generally keep their amino acids in an L configuration.
When organisms die, however, the amino acids begin to flip. In dead clams, for example, D forms of aspartic acid start turning to L`s.
Because this shift takes place slowly over time, the ratio of D`s to L`s in a fossil is a giveaway of its age.
Briner`s research team matched D and L ratios in 20 Arctic clamshells to their radiocarbon-dated ages to generate a scale showing which ratios corresponded with which ages.
The researchers then looked at the D and L ratios of aspartic acid in the 250 Greenland clamshells to come up with the fossils` ages.
The study has been published in the journal Geology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning