Greenpeace launches Rainbow Warrior III
Berne-Motzen (Germany): Greenpeace launched
its latest weapon in the fight against environmental
destruction today -- a multi-million-euro purpose-built
campaign ship named Rainbow Warrior III.
The ship carries state-of-the-art communications
equipment, two fast boats and can carry a helicopter, said the
pressure group, unveiling the vessel to mark its 40th
"The new Rainbow Warrior is the perfect ship with which
to navigate the perfect storm of ecological, economic and
democratic crises lashing our world," said Kumi Naidoo,
executive director of Greenpeace International.
The original Rainbow Warrior, a converted fishing
trawler, was sunk by French agents in New Zealand in 1985
while attempting to stop France`s nuclear testing in the
The second was more than 50 years old when it was retired
after being "rammed, raided and bombed" in numerous campaigns
against nuclear testing, over-fishing and illegal logging,
The new 58-metre Rainbow Warrior III is the first to be
built from scratch to the group`s own specifications.
It "will confront environmental criminals across the
world, investigate and expose destructive activities, but
perhaps most of all will provide a beacon of hope and an
inspiration to action wherever she goes," said Naidoo.
Moreover, practising what it preaches, Greenpeace said
Rainbow Warrior III carries a vast sail to keep the carbon
footprint to a minimum and "making her one of the most
environmentally friendly vessels of her class."
The ship was constructed at the 161-year-old German
shipyard Fassmer, with more than 100,000 individual donations
contributing to the estimated USD 32 million dollars needed
for the construction work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!