Ground water depletion causing serious problems in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Relentless depletion of
ground water is posing a serious environmental threat to
Kerala, a minister said Thursday.
A 28 per cent decrease had been registered in the current
year water level in wells across the state as compared to last
year, Water Resource Minister N K Premachandran said during a
conservation workshop by state ground water department.
"In the past, we used to depend more on surface water
sources like rivers, ponds and streams. But, with depletion of
water bodies due to extreme summer and other factors, we have
shifted our focus to ground water," he said.
The situation, if not reversed through conservation
measures, would lead to collapse of entire agriculture sector
and drinking water supply system of the state in near future,
Premachandran said water level in the depletion-prone
areas should be identified and adequate steps taken to sustain
the ground water storage.
"Conscious efforts are required to sustain and rejuvenate
water bodies and its result should be extended to drinking
water supply and agriculture sector. Tamil Nadu could be taken
as a role model for such initiatives".
Existing Ground Water Regulation Act should be amended
taking current situation into account to check uncontrolled
and illegal extraction, the minister said.
Rackets that thrive by commercial exploitation of water
resources were active in the state and the laws should be
strong enough to crack them down, he added.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof