Group set up to prepare strategy for low carbon emission
New Delhi: The Planning Commission has constituted an expert group headed by prominent economist Kirit Parikh to prepare a strategy for making the country`s economy one of low carbon emission.
The group has been formed in keeping with the country`s commitment to make it a "low carbon"? The economy for which it has recently announced voluntary and unilateral
targets to reduce emissions intensity of its GDP by 20-25%.
The 25-member panel will present an interim report by
April end and the final report by September to the Commission,
a senior Environment Ministry official said.
"It is important that implementation of emission
intensity cut targets be built into a strategy for the 12th
Five Year Plan, consistent with the national objectives of
poverty alleviation, sustainable development and inclusive
growth," he added.
The panel would review existing studies on low carbon
growth/low carbon pathways prepared by various organisations
and also analysis, as required, to assess low carbon options
for the economy and present a report outlining the roadmap for
for low-carbon growth.
The panel would evaluate some key alternative low-
carbon options with an analysis of their cost-benefit and
relative merits and demerits, the official added.
An action plan of critical low carbon initiatives would
be undertaken, including sector-specific initiatives, along
with time-line and targets starting 2011 that can feed into
the 12th Plan process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?