Group set up to prepare strategy for low carbon emission
New Delhi: The Planning Commission has constituted an expert group headed by prominent economist Kirit Parikh to prepare a strategy for making the country`s economy one of low carbon emission.
The group has been formed in keeping with the country`s commitment to make it a "low carbon"? The economy for which it has recently announced voluntary and unilateral
targets to reduce emissions intensity of its GDP by 20-25%.
The 25-member panel will present an interim report by
April end and the final report by September to the Commission,
a senior Environment Ministry official said.
"It is important that implementation of emission
intensity cut targets be built into a strategy for the 12th
Five Year Plan, consistent with the national objectives of
poverty alleviation, sustainable development and inclusive
growth," he added.
The panel would review existing studies on low carbon
growth/low carbon pathways prepared by various organisations
and also analysis, as required, to assess low carbon options
for the economy and present a report outlining the roadmap for
for low-carbon growth.
The panel would evaluate some key alternative low-
carbon options with an analysis of their cost-benefit and
relative merits and demerits, the official added.
An action plan of critical low carbon initiatives would
be undertaken, including sector-specific initiatives, along
with time-line and targets starting 2011 that can feed into
the 12th Plan process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter