Guard dogs reduce killing of threatened species
London: Guarding dogs can significantly reduce conflict between livestock and large carnivores, such as cheetahs or leopards, scientists have found.
Researchers from the University of Kent`s School of Anthropology and Conservation studied the effect guarding dogs have on the protection of farm animals across South Africa.
The research revealed that livestock guarding dogs eliminated livestock losses from predators on 91 per cent of the farms studied, with each farmer saving over USD 3,000 per year due to the reduction in killed livestock.
The team also investigated the tolerance farmers have towards cheetahs roaming their land when they have a guarding dog present.
They found that farmers were noticeably more tolerant of predators, resulting in a greater prevalence of cheetahs and other predators on their land compared to farmers that did not have livestock guarding dogs.
"This research has shown for the first time that livestock guarding dogs can successfully be used in South Africa to protect livestock from attack by predators as large as leopards or small as jackals," said Nikki Rust, from the University`s Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE).
"This is a true win-win solution to reduce conflict between livestock and predators, because it almost eliminates livestock losses to predators, saving the farmer a lot of money, whilst increasing the tolerance of predators from the farmers, thereby reducing the chance of using lethal control on threatened carnivores," Rust said.
"Retaliatory killing by farmers is a major threat to the survival of many large carnivore species," said Professor Douglas Macmillan of DICE.
"This study shows that livestock deaths can be avoided through the deployment of highly trained dogs, and I am sure that there are many similar situations around the world where such dogs could make quite a difference to the survival chances of large carnivores," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know